Who doesn’t love to play with a ball? Or kick a ball? This activity integrates ball play with the alphabet in this fun learning game. This ball theme alphabet activity is fun way to practice identifying letter sounds while kicking a ball. Kids will love the chance to learn while moving around!
This activity is very easy to set up and do with your child. You only need a few simple materials that are easy to find in the house or pick up at the store.
While playing the Kick the Cup Alphabet Activity children will learn to:
- identify letters by name
- identify letter sounds
- develop gross motor skills like balance and coordination while kicking the ball
- Paper to print the food alphabet letters onto (We recommend using white cardstock, but regular paper will do)
- Plastic cups
- Small ball
- Masking tape
Directions for Setup:
- Download one of of the Food Font alphabets that you want to print.(We like Summer Vegetable Alphabet or Summer Veggie food alphabets, but you can also choose your own.) FIX LINKS TO BE 3 INCH
- Print the Food Font alphabet onto white paper or cardstock.
- Cut each letter using either a scissors or cutting board, cutting on the grey outlines. (each letter is a 3 inch square.)
- Tape a Food Font letter onto each plastic cup tape
- Children can stand facing the cups with the ball in front of them.
- When instructed to kick, the child can kick the ball towards the cups and try to knock one or two of them over.
- When picking up the come, the child can identify the letter on each cup and say the sound each letter makes.
Variations on the Ball Theme Alphabet Activity
- The child can try to aim for a specific cup and letter.
- You can replace the cups each time, or let the child try to knock all of them down in the row before resetting the cups.
- Instead of kicking the ball, the child can roll the ball like a bowling ball to knock down the cups.