Using food to make food alphabet letters is a great way for children to learn to make letter shapes. While doing this activity, you can talk about food, the shapes of the letters, and also practice making the sound of the letters.
Any kind of food can be used to make letters. It might be fun to use one of the child’s favorite foods.
Here are some ideas that other parents and teachers have shared work well:
- Food from the garden
- Any other food that you want to use!
- Paper to print out the letter mats and alphabet checklist on
- Our free Alphabet Letter Mats that you can print
- For younger children, it can be helpful to use this printout of alphabet outlines, where they have a printed letterform to work on top of.
- Food to make letters
- Camera to take pictures of the letters
- Print out the Alphabet Letter Printable on white paper.
- Select some of the letters to start with first, and lay them out on the table.
- Talk about how food might be used to make the letter.
- Make letters out of the food. When done with a letter, take a picture of the letter, filling the camera frame with an image of the letter.
- When done, you can print out your photos of your letters. another project. You also can send them in to Food Font, and your letters will become part of the Food Font alphabet library!